Well that was real mature...

Well that was real mature...

Monday, March 3, 2014

Taking Big Chances On A Big Reveal

ADVENTURES IN PULP WRITER'S COMMENTARY

DICK RUBY AND THE CASE OF THE LITTLE GREEN MEN PAGE 11
http://adventuresinpulp.com/dick-ruby-page-11/

           Not much to say here. Initially Dick would see Eugene Lucas before seeing the aliens but Matt ditched that panel to move us along a little faster. Then he divides up the reveal and blasting of the second alien into two panels. He goes a little farther back on the next to last panel, so he can add an extra panel to go close for more impact on the big reveal (initially it was scripted as a single panel).

            The biggest issue here is the big twist. The reveal was one of the last plot points I put in during the outline process. Originally, it was just a generic queen alien, but I found it lacking. Bringing in a new character seemed anti-climatic and I felt I needed it to be someone previously introduced, but the only person I had was Betty Lucas and that didn't make sense. Or did it? Once I put that twist in place everything fell into place. I came up with some logical character reasoning (more on that in the page 12 commentary) and everything worked so I re-wrote the outline and started scripting. It all hangs together but I know it would be a big leap for the reader and the reasoning would have to be airtight to work. They would have a week to mull it over if they were following it live, doubt might build up in their minds. There were some other issues that worried me, but again I will address that tomorrow. Either way it would be a pivotal moment. If I did it right: success. If I screwed it up, the whole tale goes down the tubes.

            Note that Matt gives us some great throw back Kirby-esque tech including some "Kirby Crackle" and, let's face it, anyone who loves comics has to love "Kirby Crackle."

No comments:

Post a Comment